Taking Action on Energy
Everyone can take positive action to conserve energy
or use it more
wisely. The technology is in place, is relatively inexpensive in most
cases to install and provides rapid payback.
On the premise that it
is impossible to manage what cannot be
measured, for large energy users – i.e. those other than residential
– the Active Energy Efﬁciency process should start with an
assessment of how and where energy is used and how much of it is
Fundamental questions that every organisation
- Is your organisation equipped for energy efﬁciency?
- Changes in
legislation and regulations are forcing building
occupiers to get ready for carbon management. Is your staff
- Can your ﬁnancial teams ﬁnd their way through any
- How would you evaluate your success?
- Can you demonstrate this to your customers?
- Can you account for 90% of your energy usage? In the UK,
for example, Building Regulations call for 90% of the estimated
annual energy usage to be measured and accounted for, including
electricity, gas, water, oil and steam.
- Who uses your energy? Applying
effective monitoring and
targeting measures to energy consumption increases the success
of energy efﬁciency. However, without the buy-in of the people who
are using energy in an organisation, savings will be unsustainable.
you monitor awareness levels and attitudes towards Active
Energy Efﬁciency in your company?
Further assessment needed:
- Do you know your requirements? In order to determine
start, you need to know where you are now. However, taking advice
can be a risk, unless the advice is backed with experience and
knowledge. Begin with a study of your facilities built around your
- Do the recommendations show you your route to energy
- Do you understand the next steps?
- Who delivers on energy efﬁciency?
You are in the driving seat,
and with the right investments come savings. A poor implementation
of an energy efﬁciency scheme could signiﬁcantly reduce the
potential for savings.
- Do you have the resource to manage the procurement
installation of equipment and ensure you stay on track?